Iggy Campos from Iggs fries up a traditional Portuguese snack for Taste of Edinburgh
- 2kg salt cod fillet
- 5 large egg whites
- 5 chilli peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 50g fresh coriander, chopped
- 8 limes, rind finely grated of 4
- ½ tsp salt
- white flour for coating
- 500ml groundnut or sunflower oil
Method: How to make fishcakes
1. Leave the salt cod under cold running water for 25 minutes. Pat dry and chop coarsely. Place in a food processor with the egg whites and pulse until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and mix thoroughly with chillies, coriander, grated lime rind and salt. Weigh out 85g of the mixture and shape it into a patty. Coat the fishcake in flour. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
2. Heat the oil in a deep-fryer and fry the fishcakes in batches for 4 minutes each at 180°C. Allow to rest for 2 minutes, then fry for a further minute. Squeeze the juice of the 4 limes over the fishcakes. Cut the remaining limes into wedges and serve immediately.
Recipe © courtesy of Iggy Campos at Iggs